For personal health reasons I decided to change-up my entire lifestyle when it came to exercise and diet a couple of years ago. I overworked, under-slept, favored convenience / flavor over nutrition, had some terrible habits, and put no effort into taking care of myself. Eventually these not so smart choices caught up with me as I entered my thirties, and after another half decade of denial I was forced to reconsider my strategy if I wanted to be around for my then 2-year-old’s future.
The first thing I did was quit smoking, and eliminated or significantly reduced social drinking as well as any other unhealthy habits I had developed over the years. Once I was able to "stop the bleeding" so to speak, I slowly started back to the gym and decided to change my diet. I heavily researched all the “organic” hype that was going around and discovered that it wasn't hype at all. All I can say is that I had NO idea, and it will shock you to learn what kind of untested chemicals and other harmful ingredients go into most foods found in your local grocery store.
Here are a couple of amazing documentaries that started me down the rabbit hole if you’re interested to learn more about how the food industry is pretty much fueling the pharmaceutical industry with future customers. Peculiar how some of the biggies from both sides have the same parent companies, but as a business consultant I can see how it would be a pretty savvy business strategy if you were capable of throwing morality and conscience out the window.
Just as I started to develop the interest, knowledge, and self-control to make these changes a permanent part of my life, I came across the green smoothie revolution. After trying many different recipes and recommendations, combined with a ton of trial / error, I developed my own organic green smoothie recipe that I've been refining over the last year. I discovered that some fruits / vegetables are head and shoulders above others on the nutrient scale. In fact, the food items I thought were nutritious weren't that nutritious at all. It was an amazing experience going through the learning process of trying tons of different ingredients in many different combinations and ending up with a result that was a perfect balance of flavor, consistency, and nutrition for me.
Remember, my goal was to undo all the damage I did all those years, and start myself on a path that will guarantee I'll be around for many years to come. I believe I've developed a formula that addresses most of the needs my body required to heal and rejuvenate. Although this recipe should never be considered a cure-all, I do believe that food is medicine and any health issue you may have will only improve if you provide your body with ample amounts of beautiful, delicious, and healthy organic foods like those included in this green smoothie recipe.
This is also a great recipe for the whole family. My now 4-year-old receives a bowl almost every day. He’s only been doing it for 5 months but everyone who sees him is amazed at how much of a difference it’s made to his overall health and appearance. After being asked the umpteenth time for the recipe, I thought I'd share it here so anyone who's interested can see if it works for them as well as its worked for my family.
If you have the patience and dedication, I guarantee that if you consume a minimum of two full cups a day while maintaining even a semi-healthy lifestyle, people will be commenting on the visible changes to your overall health and energy levels in as little as a month or two.
Best Green Smoothie Ingredients
(Makes about 90 Fl Oz – Adjust to your needs / blender size)
- 1 High Speed Blender (Blendtec or Vitamix recommended)
- 6 Tablespoons Organic Flax Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Chia Seeds in 1 Cup Distilled Water (20 mins)
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Rounded Teaspoon Terramin Clay
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Aloe Vera Gel
- 1 cup Organic Coconut Water
- 1 Cup Organic Spinach
- 2 Cups Organic Kale
- 2 Cups Organic Collard Green
- ½ Cup Organic Beet Root
- ½ Cup Organic Carrots
- ½ Cup Organic Grapes (I sometimes substitute Organic Blueberries / Strawberries)
- 1 Capsule Digestive Enzyme
- 1 Organic Apple
- 1 Organic Orange
- 1 Organic Banana
- ¼ Cup Organic Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Organic Cinnamon
- 4000 IU Liquid Vitamin D
- 3000mg Liquid Calcium
- 50 gm Protein Powder (Natural)
- 7 Distilled Water Ice Cubes
- Place Chia Seeds in Distilled water and stir well. Stir once every 5 minutes for minimum 20 minutes until consistency is like jelly.
- Clean all greens, fruits and vegetables. You can use 1 Tablespoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a large pot of water and soak for 1 hour. This is especially important for any produce that is not certified Organic in order to remove pesticide residue.
- Peel Carrots and Beet, and chop finely to reduce wear on Blender. Chop all greens finely as well.
- Remove Apple core (leave on skin, very healthy). Use a peeler to remove just the top layer of orange skin while leaving white flesh, it contains majority of nutrients. Remove Banana Peel.
- Place the Flax Seeds in the blender
- Add the Coconut Oil. Preferably in liquid state since when hard it may not blend effectively. If you decide to heat make sure not to heat above 30C.
- Add Coconut Water. This is an amazing nutrient dense electrolyte. It also adds a nice flavor.
- Add the Aloe Vera Gel which is great for your skin and full of antioxidants.
- Add the Terramin Clay. Terramin Clay has amazing detoxification abilities, and also acts as a mineral supplement. NASA gives it to astronauts in order to replenish calcium loss in zero G.
- Add Grapes. Make sure to remove all stems, but if you have a good blender and can find organic grapes with seeds, make sure to leave them in. Grapeseed provides some amazing health benefits.
- Peel and chop raw beet. The smaller the size, the better for your blender.
- Add all finely chopped greens (Spinach, Kale, and Collard Green)
- Add finely chopped carrots.
- Open Enzyme capsule and pour over carrots. Discard Capsule Shell.
- Pour in Chia Seed / Water mixture.
- Remove Apple Core (Especially seeds as they contain arsenic), chop, and add into blender.
- Put in 3 Ice Cubes to lower temperature during blending. It causes heat, and if the mixture goes above 40C it will start to kill the nutritious natural enzymes.
- Blend on full Smoothie Cycle, or at high power until everything is a smooth consistency. There should be no detectable chunks of any kind. Slower blenders may not be effective in one go, so you may have to cycle one or two times until consistency is reached. It’s important this is done well as the greens are difficult to digest, but you also don’t want to over blend since oxygenation can also kill enzymes.
- Add in Cinnamon and Honey by pouring in cinnamon first, then honey directly on top. Cinnamon combined with honey has magical healing properties.
- Pour in Liquid Calcium / Vitamin D. I don’t like to use supplements in my smoothie, but we do not always get enough of these two very important dietary items. A daily smoothie is a great way to ensure you do.
- Add in Yogurt. Organic yogurt is very important since the source animal will not be full of antibiotics and hormones.
- Add your protein powder. I use two different kinds that combine to a total of 50 grams of protein at minimum. I use a natural vegetable protein (Hemp Protein Powder) as well as a natural New Zealand Whey protein power (Vanilla) that has no added sugar. If you must have something sweetened, ensure it is only sweetened with Stevia and not any other (sometimes toxic) alternative like aspartame.
- Break up and add banana.
- Chop peeled orange and place in blender.
- Add remaining 4 Ice cubes.
- Again, blend on full smoothie cycle or on full power until extremely smooth.
You’re now done, enjoy! If you need to store you can keep refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days. I also suggest you wait at least an hour for the digestive enzymes to help break down all the nutrition before your first cup.
Remember, this recipe is just how I do it and I'm sure there are others that may be better for you. Make sure you try different methods / mixtures of your own until you find something that works. As an example, some may not like the brownish hue of the end result. Removing the beets and not using blueberries will do that, although you're giving up some amazing nutrition in the process.
Feel free to share with your friends if you want. Have any suggestions / feedback? Make sure to tell your story in the comments!